MassEffect22010-07-0104-02-57-64

BioWare, I am disappoint

Don’t worry Garrus, we know how you feel.

I am going to start this off with this, “BioWare, I am so disappoint.” Mass Effect is one of my all time favorite series. I loved the idea of flying through space, killing aliens, saving planets, and…you know, getting rather frisky with aliens. I loved this game so much I preordered Mass Effect 3 as soon as I could. As the date of release got closer and closer I got so hyped to play. Then it all happened. BioWare announced Day 1 DLC that included a massive part of the lore.

*SPOLIERS AND STUFF!*

The day 1 DLC will include a Prothean squad mate. Protheans are a race that has been in the games since the start and according to everyone in the game were completely wiped out. Yeah… that is a pretty huge part of the story. Now, I know some of you are probably going ,“Oh well, I’ll still get it,” however by doing this you are pretty much allowing other companies to go, “Hmmm, this got them massive profits so now we must do the same.” Even in the video game industry companies still care about the profits. Now, I understand that a lot of people are excited for this and will buy it and play it. Well good for them. I canceled my preorder though, and it was the first one I have ever canceled where it actually made me feel a bit sad. But allowing a company to make DLC along with making the game and then not including it with the game just doesn’t feel right.

BioWare did make a statement saying:

It takes about 3 months from ‘content complete’ to bug-fix, certify, manufacture, and ship game discs,” he tweeted. “In that time we work on DLC… On [Mass Effect 3], content creators completed the game in January and moved onto the From Ashes DLC, free with the [Collector's Edition] or you can buy separately.

But isn’t this about the same as someone writing a book and adding in an extra chapter as it’s getting published, and decided to sell it as a whole separate book? Or a Hollywood movie taking out a scene where only the special and more expensive theaters get to see it?
It’s just bad business in my opinion. Imagine if this takes off and you start buying games in parts. For part 1 you pay 60 bucks, then after that you pay 10 dollars for each additional part. Yeah, doesn’t sound fun does it?  I don’t ask for you to instantly boycott the game. If you buy it that is your choice, I can’t stop it. But I do ask you to think about what you are supporting and what it will do to the industry. Feel free to submit your opinion in the comments. Do you agree with me? Do you think I am a self righteous ding bat? Do you want me to just shut up? Do you want me to ask another irrelevant question? If so, I am curious on all opinions.

AJ

About AJ

That one awesome guy that knows everybody, oh I also do video things. Also madly in love with cynicism.

9 Responses to “BioWare, I am disappoint”

jbnet211 says:

sounds like EA is money hungry again

Plum says:

This is one of the most ridiculous announcements I have seen yet. One of the main things I was looking forward to in ME3 was the Prothean, which was a rumor released awhile ago. The fact that I’d have to pay more for it is just slightly infuriating.

I have nothing against DLC, but there should never be such thing as “Day one” DLC, and it shouldn’t include things so heavy on story line.

Aylis says:

That statement made by Bioware tells me they completly missed the point of this and why everyone is so angry. DLC and side missions are all fine and good when they are NOT integral to a RPG story line. Everyone is upset because this should have never been DLC in the first place, this should have been a part of the game in its final state. It would be as if Square Enix saying for Final Fantasy 4 “Oh you want to know the origins of Cecil and his relationship to his father and the common thread they share with Golbez? Oooo that’s in the DLC, $10 please~!”

Really really REALLY bad move Bioware.

Brodoin says:

I think the main reason people are upset is because it’s such a major plot point. If it was just a little DLC people wouldn’t as upset.

At the same time… I still want the game, and I will get it eventually.

Plum says:

Exactly. Fallout 3 had DLC down perfectly. They were fun additions that let you experience the game more, but didn’t make you feel that you would have missed out on a huge storyline plot if you didn’t get it.

Brainjuicer says:

EA has always been money hungry. Nickel and diming the people will continue to get worse as long as people continue to purchase the shit.

Tenaka says:

I’ll go with self righteous dingbat, sorry.

It is the companies right to make and milk a franchise and the game has no right to insist, demand or expect all dlc to automatically be theirs because they bought the game.

I wouldn’t say no to free DLC personally but I won’t hold it against a business if they do the one thing they exist for, to make money.

jsw11984 says:

I fail to see the point here, if you purchase the Collectors Edition which where I live is $30 more than the standard and includes many other cool things. This DLC is included, it’s only an issue if you choose to be cheap and not buy the Collector’s Edition. And more to the point if you had to wait 6 months or more for DLC then you would be annoyed that it’s taking so long for the DLC. EA can’t win regardless of how they tackle it.